- Planning & Economic Development
- New Business Resources
New Business Resources
Thank you for considering Avon for your business! To help you with the process of opening your business, we've put together the following resources to get started.
- Location: Finding the right location for your business is essential. Consult the City's available commercial properties here or review our Home Occupation Permit (PDF) information. The Planning & Economic Development Department can also assist you with your location search.
- Zoning: Confirm the property's zoning classification to make sure your business use is appropriate for your new location. You may need a Special Use Permit or variance, so it is best to find this information out early in your location search. Call the Zoning Enforcement Officer at 440-937-7810.
- Pre-Application Meeting: This meeting is required to help business owners effectively plan their project, receive next step instructions and feedback in an effort to save all parties time, energy and money. Contact the Planning & Economic Development Department to schedule a meeting. Keep in mind that eventually, you will most likely need to hire an architect or design professional to secure permits.
- New Construction & Additions: Construction projects will need to get Planning Commission and City Council approval, if applicable. Site plans with pertinent information including, but not limited to, utilities, traffic and building details will need to be submitted.
- Change of Use or Occupancy: Every business must have a Commercial Occupancy Certificate before moving into a commercial building. Contact the Building Department at 440-937-7811. The Building Department will proactively work with you to ensure compliance with the Ohio Building Code.
- Interior or Exterior Alterations: Renovations will most likely require building permits. Contact the Building Department before starting any demolition, construction or system upgrades to discuss your plans and discuss next steps.
- Food Sales: If your business includes any food or beverage sales or preparation, contact the Lorain County Public Health at 440-322-6367 for information about required vendor permits and inspections.
Networking: The North Coast Chamber of Commerce and Lorain County Chamber of Commerce are always looking at ways to help our local businesses and provide networking opportunities.