The home of Wilbur Cahoon and his family, Avon's first settlers, is located at 2940 Stoney Ridge Road. On September 14, 1814 the Cahoon family of nine, soon to be ten, settled on 800 acres of land after moving from Salisbury, New York. Their mission was to build a sawmill and grist mill to start a new settlement. The original Cahoon family log cabin was built just south of the current home's location, near the place where Stoney Ridge Road crosses over the French Creek. Construction of the historic 12-room Greek Revival style home began in 1825 and the home was placed on the National Historic Register of Historic Places in 1978.
The home will be open to the public for tours at the following times. Admission and parking are free.
Sundays 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Wednesdays 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Please note that these times are subject to change. Check back here for updates before visiting.
Have more questions? Reach out to Nicole Rambo-Ackerman at 440-937-7823 for more information.